Sant Corneli Church

Town
  • Albanyà
Category
  • Churches
Location
  • Very near L'Hostal de La Muga
Phone
  • 972 56 91 90
E-mail
  • albanya@ddgi.cat
Age
  • Centuries IX-XII-XIII
The chapel of Sant Corneli de la Muga or de Ribelles had been suffragan to the parish of Sant Llorenç de Cerdans in Vallespir. In this way, it depended on the bishopric of Elna until 1805 when it was added to that of Gerona. For this reason, northern Catalans came here to celebrate religious services during the French Revolution. The small church dates from the 13th century and is in ruins. The roof over the small nave has collapsed, although the rectangular apse is intact and maintains its pointed vault.